Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hello 2014

I saw a cartoon on a friends Facebook page today that said "I can't believe it's been a year since I didn't become a better person".  I giggled, sure, but there is also such a ring of truth in that statement regarding resolutions.  I usually set the same two resolutions every year.  Number one, don't tailgate.  Number two, stop saying fuck so much. I usually do pretty well on the first one, but fail on number two every year.  Actually last year I did resolve to write more.  At least once a week.  I've not blogged since April, so that lets you know how well I tackled that resolution.  Actually I wish I had written more.  I love to write and have always dreamed of being a writer.  I thought about doing it, but there always seemed to be some distraction, or I really just couldn't put what I wanted to say into written word.  I am going to try and write more in 2014 but only time will tell. 

I  have also decided that I am cutting as much negative energy out of my life as I can.  For the most part that means getting rid of Facebook friends who bring me down or get me riled up.  Most of these folks aren't really my friends anyway, just people I knew way back when in one way or another.  Today I cleaned out my friend list and I feel great about it.  No more whining, negative, offensive posts in my newsfeed.  That has to be a great way to start the year, right. 

I'm also going to work harder at learning to live and let live.  I often find myself being far too judgmental of others. It is not a good quality at all, but I'm owning it and now going to do my best to purge it. 

So those are my "resolutions".  I'm setting them loosely since like most folks, I am probably going to fail at keeping them and I don't need another reason to negative self talk.  Oh, wait, there is another one, try to treat myself with more love and kindness.  Gosh, how many is that now?  I'll lose the tailgating one, I really have changed that behavior, so maybe I can manage to sort of keep the remaining ones.  Really, isn't, the only resolution any of should set is to try and be a better person than you were yesterday?  Pretty simple, really. 

So, come on 2014 I am ready for you.  I know like all years you will bring great joys as well as great heartbreaks.  There will be births and deaths and illnesses.  There will be job changes and breakups, marriages and divorces.  There will be some natural disaster somewhere, terrorist attacks, some whacko shooting up a school or business.  Our government will continue to be dysfunctional on both sides of the aisle.  There will be wonderful accomplishments by athletes, the Olympics are on the way.  There will be trips and laughter with friends and tears with friends, too.  My point is, this year will be like all other years that have come before, a mish mash of life events.  My wish is that you truly live each day to the fullest, no matter what that day may bring.  Cherish every day of 2014, in a blink it will be over and I will be saying to myself "I can't believe it has been a year since I didn't become a better person". 

I sincerely wish you and yours a wonderful 2014!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment